Applications can be submitted in person at City Hall or emailed to email@example.com
and will be accepted until the position is filled
Asst. Superintendent Maintenance
The position of Laborer II shall be considered a skilled laborer. Under general supervision being able to lead and perform basic maintenance and repairs on wastewater facilities, cleaning and maintenance of pump stations, and collection systems. The Laborer is on call twenty-four hours a day and must provide his or her own transportation to and from the job site.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
The following list of essential job functions is not exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Comprehend the wastewater treatment processes and the collection system.
- Lead and perform in the work of a crew engaged in the inspection and maintenance of sanitary sewers and related appurtenances.
- Inspect to insure proper operation and maintenance of pump stations.
- Operate a variety of sewer cleaning equipment used to maintain the collection system.
- Operate, clean and maintain trucks, cars, dump trucks, blowers, generators, pneumatic equipment and power tools.
- Assist personnel in performance of maintenance and repair tasks, material and equipment handling and safety for maintenance and inspection crews.
- Assist in equipment set-up, breakdown and assist in traffic control.
- Operate sewer inspection equipment.
- Capable of performing duties of Sewer Inspector, when needed.
- Observe safe work practices and ensure that work does not endanger others.
- Perform general housekeeping work including the maintenance of grounds.
- Perform additional duties as needed when required by the Maintenance Supervisor.
The desired candidate will have experience in the operation and maintenance of wastewater treatment plan and collection systems. Additional related education may be substituted for work experience.
Must have the ability to pull a minimum of 100 pounds dead weight from the bottom of a twenty-foot manhole and remove a standard size manhole cover (minimum weight 150 pounds) unaided. Ability to do strenuous manual work under varying weather conditions. Must have the ability to enter manholes. Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with subordinates, peers, and supervisors. Ability to exercise sound judgment in evaluating situations and in making decisions. Ability to follow verbal and written instructions. Must have the ability to communicate effectively and appropriately with the public.
QUALIFICATION, TRAINING, AND EXPERIENCE:
High School Diploma or Equivalent and possess a current valid State of Ohio Commercial Driver License (CDL), and obtain a tanker endorsement. The ability to learn new equipment and procedures used in the treatment processes.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENTS:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The work environment characteristics are those encountered while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee has the ability to work safely. Standing, walking, use hands and fingers, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. Occasionally required to sit, climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
The ability to work in enclosed or confined spaces. Must not have claustrophobic tendencies.